Thursday, September 3, 2015

Potty Books! Potty Talk!



Do You See What I See?

Full disclosure here - I am feeling a bit apprehensive about this blog post.  If you don't see what I see, should I just shout it out?  Or should I let the librarian in me lead you quietly down the path to discover it yourself?  Hmmm.  

Let's try a key word: diversity....or in this situation, the lack there of!  And then there's this:"Mommy, where are the potty books with kids like me?"  OH.MY.GOSH.  OH.NO. PLEASE not my library!  This is so sad.  

Yet if you spend any time at all in my brain, this situation also invites humor.  What?  Only the white kids need potty training?  Everyone else automatically gets it? Why didn't someone tell me that before?  Honestly!  Come on people! Librarians need to know this.  Mind you, this paragraph only happened in my head. 

So we'll just move forward here with no self-blaming.  None!  And I'll show you what to go running for when your potty display is lacking.  Here's a book that's always popular in my library.  We have three copies. The subject matter is just that compelling!  Check out the cover - a cute kid of color.  Hence we know this kid poops!  And the poop is in the potty!  (I did write that)



(just like I said...in the potty!!)





Another great book and even more proof that kids of color know how to use the potty.


Yep.  This is the trifecta for every library collection. Diversity. Potty. Firefighters! It's all here. 

Any lessons from this little adventure into potty land?  Most potty books have white kids.  We need diverse children in potty books.  Once again #WeNeedDiverseBooks.  I'm not going to stop talking about this issue.  Diversity matters and potty training time is a huge stage in a child's life.  We need to get this right.

I select books for my branch always with an eye to diversity.  I create flannels with diverse children.  My dolls and puppets represent diversity.  And my volunteers and staff are aware that our displays need to reflect our wonderfully diverse community and yet, one little person saw what I did not.  Wow.  Time to check your potty collections!  I've ordered more potty books.  I set my Baker & Taylor search for diversity/potty and found some new books. The library can not ever own enough potty books.  

Piper is oddly silent on this subject!  

Flannel Friday is the best place for creativity, support and growth...check us out.  Thanks for visiting Piper Loves the Library.  We both love comments.  Feel free to leave one, some, many!!  








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for shedding light on this important topic! You're my hero for bringing this topic up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. All comments await moderation before showing in the post.