Saturday, April 9, 2016

Flannel Friday Chick Week! Cheep, Cheep, Cheep!

Here a chick, there a chick...



Chicks, listen up! Shake a tail feather!  It's chick week.  We're loud! And plentiful!  Birds of a feather...and all that!!

Lucy Cousins book, Count with Maisy, Cheep, Cheep, Cheep! inspired chickens in every story time this week.  

My plan: a white hen with blue dots, like Maisy has!
My flannel supply: green or pink with white dots. Bummer. Balk! Balk! Balk!  I really wanted a blue and white mama hen named Dottie!


Plan B:
Pull out the flannels in all the colors I "was feelin" and start from there.  And that's how I have a blue hen with paisley patterning. The baby chicks are rather traditional.  They probably get fancy feathers later!


Count with Maisy has flaps to lift and chicks to place on the flannel board now.  Participation heaven.  A chick week "must have" is Chicken Little.  I adore telling this story

 

And we added the book The Cow who Clucked from one of my most favorite author/illustrators, Denise Fleming.  I love reading aloud the moment when the cow is ultimately defeated and ..."and she headed for the barn" I hold that page for a few extra beats.  Drama!  You gotta know when to hold 'em!  The next page is equally as dramatic...don't say a word for about 8 seconds!




Our Yoga for 2 attendees had time to make their very own Chicken Little.  I have this saying...color like you mean it...and using the oil pastels surely gets a lot of pigment on the paper.  Satisfying color, much more fun than markers.  One of the little Yoga chicks wanted to make her Chicken Little ((((crazy))))  I think she succeeded!  This is my "kinda" art!




P.S. (Piper Script): Jane's Chicken Little story telling rendition is pretty shout-out ((((Crazy)))).  "Oh my goodness, oh my gracious...the sky is falling....run for your lives!!!"  

Drama....chick!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. All comments await moderation before showing in the post.