Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dig that Dirt!


Move that truck!

Here is a preview of summer fun at the library!
Dig Into Summer Reading kicks off with Tip Tip Dig Dig.  This very colorful book by Emma Garcia has me digging in the dirt with some heavy duty trucks.
Just check 'em out!


If you are not familiar with this book...let me introduce you.  The story opens with a two page illustration of a terrible mess - a dump of a mess - what can we do with it?  Tell me!  What do you see?  What do you think?  What shall we do? Truck drama, who knew?


Well just maybe we can get a digger and DIG DIG DIG!  Can you do that with me?  What does digging look like? Should we stand up?  And what do we say?  Let me hear you say it!  LOUDER! DIG DIG DIG!



Do you like trucks?  Well, here comes another one!  A Mixer!  Let's Mix Mix Mix!!  Move your body like a mixer!


Would you like to see the rest of the trucks 
in this book?  
Do you know their names?






Alright, Big Gigantic TRUCKS!  
Get Digging! Get Rollin' and Move on out! 
You've got a job to do!


Okay - there's more...grab a scarf, the same color as your favorite truck in the book and we'll  read it again...and  you get to make the sound of your truck and move your scarf all around!! You get to be a GIGANTIC LOUD TRUCK!  A truck cacophony to drive us a bit crazy!  Can YOU dig it?  Yes you can!


And let's add a video to the mix...the Driving My Tractor video, brought to YouTube by Barefoot Books and Steve's Songs.  (Book by Jan Dobbins and David Sim)  It's a wonderful ride through a color-filled farm.  

Anyway you look at it...color is coming...monster trucks, dancing scarves, adventure play land or a happy farm.  This week is full of color.  And it is the inspiration to roll us right into our (not quite completely planned but still coming at you) Dig Into Summer Reading at the library!!!

P.S. (Piper Script): We are thinking BIG!  








13 comments:

  1. This is so much fun. My favorite part are the eyes on the vehicles. (Now to create my own!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, the eyes + eyeballs = too much fun!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this book! Your flannel board is adorable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book really is so much fun. I just ordered a used copy from Amazon for my grandson.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Tip Tip Dig Dig. Your flannel board is adorable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is one of Kendra's favorite books, so I bet she'll pop up in the comments too. I love the idea of using scarves with this book. I think Anna had mentioned it to me a few weeks ago & now I'm dying to try it! Thanks for giving me a script to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - the kids seem to love the scarves and usually I hand them out with "you get what you get and you don't get upset" (regarding colors) Sooo when I give them the chance to pick a color...it's scarf heaven in storytime!

      Delete
  5. This is great! I use the same flannel-then-scarf technique with Freight Train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So grateful for your comment! I read Freight Train too much, because they love it. But I have never paired it with the scarves. I will now!! Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Oooooo I want to do this too! Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What color is your scarf? parachute? life...oh, I think I'm off topic!! :)

      Delete
  7. Your truck pieces are gorgeous! - and I love the idea of using colour coordinated scarves for an extension activity. What a fun program :)

    I came across a song that you may want to check out for this theme. It's called The Truck Song by Kathy Reid-Naiman - on her CD Reaching for the Stars.
    You may want to shorten it (it rambles on a bit), or otherwise adapt it, if you decide to sing it - or it could be background music for more scarf dancing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. All comments await moderation before showing in the post.