Friday, September 20, 2013

Flannel Friday - How To Make Flannel Sheep!

It's a Sheep Sharing!
How to Make Flannel Sheep

The season is changing.  Fall is knocking on the door.  I should be thinking new purse, warm scarf.. but all this gal wants this season is fancy flannel sheep for story time.  They are the perfect accessory for everyone's library.  You heard it here first!

If you would like to be "on trend",  stay right here!  We'll show you how to make your own set of fancy flannel cheeky sheep.  You'll be the talk of the town!  Seriously!  I kid you not.  Just take a look at the baby in my sheep set!


Yes, he has boots on because that's what little boys need in the mud!

Today's post is a "how to" and I will try my best to not get wordy.  Hopefully the pictures will do the talking.  If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments and I will respond.

Three templates:





$3.18 worth of felt, on sale at Michaels!


Cut out the template and tape to the black felt.  Use tons of tape! (makes it easier to cut)


Be sure to cut outside the line



Great!   The sheep's backing is done.  (I'm being followed by a sheep shadow, sheep shadow sheep shadow) (I can't stop myself...and kudos to those who "get it")



Now cut the template, TEMPLATE ONLY..cut off the head, and the legs.  (you know I wanted to write CARVE off)


Tape his big furry body to the blue felt and cut inside the line.



Do the same with the head, I used light blue.


Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes!


Or ...I know that song ...Put your little foot, put your little foot, put your little foot right here!

Back to directions: I do not return to the template for things like legs. I place tape on the back of the felt and just cut straight pieces.  And I free cut the curlicues...also making sure there is tape on the back for cutting-ease, then remove the tape and open up the curl a little.  The tape makes cutting easier.  Believe me here.  I use tacky glue generously to build my pieces.  


Now, I did make a template for the fancy fun additions for the sheep.  These sheep will have a simple story before we sing their song! So, here's their fancy parts!  I will add one earring to mom, just need to find a gem. (she's a one earring, dancing sheep, aging hippie, with a late-in-life baby...you know how it goes!)


Mom's next, of course!


And then Dad - he's deciding if he wants a retro-John Lennon or a youthful Harry Potter "look!" It's difficult keeping up with Mom!


I will use the same process with mom and dad.  I'll post a family portrait asap.  So, I'm thinking you'll want to stop back here again.  Soon!  I know you are dying to see the pink leopard felt on the mom!  Well, I am too!  Time to wrap this baby up and get to work on mom and dad.  

These are the NEW 2013 Fall Colors.  Again, you heard it here first!



Before we send you off all fashion forward, feeling your inner Fancy Nancy we just want to mention our blog post for the International Dot Day - it was a great day!  Our dot flannel pieces are incredibly easy to make.  Go take a look.  Piper and I are big Peter H Reynolds fans!  

Questions?  Comments!  We love hearing from you.  Thanks ~ Piper and Jane


WE are FAMILY!  
click to that ^ link - for songs and fun!



P.S. (Piper Script) If you'd like to visit our very traditional sheep made long ago...just click here



6 comments:

  1. Great tutorial, and very cute sheep! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! maybe one of the FF's we can do a Best Practices, or best tips for making flannel pieces??? ~ jane

      Delete
  2. Jane, I just love your posts! They always make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! Needless to say this blogging becomes so incredibly self-indulgent at times, (read: all the time for Jane), that I entertain myself quite easily. I am usually smiling as I type. It's all good! ~ jane

      Delete
  3. I love the tape idea, I've been stapling my templates, but I can see how the tape would make it so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Happy to share an idea that makes creativity easier for you. Indulge the inner tape goddess or demon or prankster! Just use the tape!!!! ~ jane

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. All comments await moderation before showing in the post.