Friday, July 12, 2013

Oh, David, it's Flannel Friday!

Oh! David!
     No, David!


David Shannon's wonderful No, David has been the highlight of my week.  We had more fun with this book than I ever could have planned.  And it was a learning experience for me.  So it's back to the drawing board today.  I need a David with movable eyebrows and a movable mouth.  David needs to show his emotions!!
So I can do things like this:


and this:


or this:


So now, all of David's features are movable.  His eyes, eyebrows, and mouth are made of stiffened black felt and his nose is made of the same felt as his skin.   I hope to make a few more of these to keep on the flannel board during social time because David's many faces were ultimately the most fascinating part of the program.  A small tilt of the brow, or tip the mouth and WOW!

Some time ago I made a set of bandaids for Piper.  I pulled them out this week to use with the No, David book to include the CCSStandard of consequences.  I mean really people,  why does David's mom always say "No"?   Oh yes...this was fun, and comical, and I want to do it again. 

...David fell while trying to sneak a cookie and hurt is elbow
....David accidently stabbed his hand with his fork while playing with his food
....David fell on his bottom, "his bum" in his slippery bathroom
....David's head hit the ceiling while jumping on his bed

There was no end to the number of bandaids David needed.  And now...there will be no end to his expressive face.  Next time around...the children can provide the consequence, the bandaid AND change David's expression.  Oh, and we can all imitate David's face.  I'm thinking we need a mirror in our story time room!

I am presenting a program titled : Every Child A Reader this summer.  It's for children ages 4-6 with a parent.  It brings together the skill sets from ECRR along with many of the CCSS to encourage early literacy success.  Everyone went home with their own David-on-a-paint-stirrer-stick-puppet to practice narrative skills.  They decided while coloring if their puppet was a Naughty David or a Good David.  Needless to say most everyone selected Naughty David!  I say "Bravo"!  Play out the naughty with the puppet.  Let the puppet get in trouble!

This is mine, made of felt today...but we made paper ones in the library with an assortment of wild and crazy expressions.  


Piper and I outreached to a summer camp this week where we did two programs.  Not to be outdone by David...Piper needed her story told ...the story of why she needed all the bandaids.  She loved the attention!  Indeed Piper girl, you are my very real puppet!  xo


P.S. (Piper Script) There's more to David.  Yep, yep, yep!  The library's first Library as Incubator program featured David.    
If you would like to learn how to make David - click here for a tutorial (it's at the end of the post) 






3 comments:

  1. This is great, Jane! How do you stiffen the black felt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bridget, I buy most of my felt at Michaels and they offer a few colors in stiffened felt. (they always have black) It costs a bit more for a sheet but it is completely worth it for the backing felt and for little pieces. I've seen it at JoAnn's too. They have it with a sticky back as well for even more money! I don't buy the peel and stick because I need my black backing to be a bit larger than the piece that goes on top of it. Hope this helps ~ jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool! Another item for my TBD pile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. All comments await moderation before showing in the post.